Saturday 15 December 2012

I finally had my surgery...

Since my last update a lot  has happened in terms of both my health and personal life. I finally had my surgery (incisional hernia repair) on December 6th 2011 after numerous deliberation whether to go ahead and cancellations due to unavoidable circumstances.

Although i was made aware by many surgeons and Professor Heaton that this operation is highly risky and i still wanted to go ahead, however i was  not prepared for what was to come. The first few weeks everything seem to be going really well. Prof was pleased with how the surgery went and my recovery. At this point i was feeling very positive and my consultants were very pleased that they were planning my discharge, it looked like i would be home for Christmas and the New Year.

It was three weeks since my surgery and one night i developed a high fever and ended up in surgery with a duoudenal ulcer (see 'A Bad Day' post). Post op i was put on TPN as i had a fistula and a leak, also my wound developed MRSA and E-coli so was re-opened and has been leftopen to heal and close by secondary intention as anymore surgery is too risky now. The next few months proved to be very challenging as i was in and out of Liver ITU with numerous complications. I went into renal failure which required therapy, then caught numerous infections, portal vein thrombosis and developed allergic reactions to numerous drugs

Eventually, things started to settle down and i was allowed to start eating after four long, challenging months in hospital I was finally discharged on April 5th. My wound was still open and the fistula was very active so every time i ate or drank it would come out via the fistula so i had district nurses come to dress my wound twice a day and went to clinic every Thursdays.

Since my discharge in April I have encountered many more problems and have had numerous emergency admissions which i will explain in other posts.



No comments: